Sunday, February 26, 2006

A cold day in the Theater beats a warm day at Work


Well I have not had my furnance working now for over a week. Last night and tonight it will get real cold. But I do have hot water and little space heaters, and Elvis (my yellow lab) to keep me warm. He has been sleeping next to me since the first time I brought him home from the shelter. He is the most loving goof ball I have ever known. He is also the most important thing in my life right now. How pathetic is that? LOL. Today is a long day for me because it is the tech rehearsal for Auntie Mame which I am directing. I have been doing community theater now for well over 9 years. In 1997, I was sitting around talking to my friend Warren and he asked me to read a play he had written that he was submitting to a New Play festival at Albany Civic Theater. Well I read it with much gusto and we both laughed. Lo and behold in the late summer of that year his play was excepted in the festival. He asked me to come to auditions. Well I had never done any formal theater before and was working a crappy job at the time and was tired all the time. So on the night of the auditions, I told him no I was just going to stay home. As soon as hung up I felt guilty. I was in a bad place. He was offering me an opportunity to get out of my funk and I just turned him down. So I called him back and told him to swing by and pick me up. I was going to go and support him. Well at the auditions I was surprized on how people reacted to my reading. I left there with not one but two parts. That day changed my life. I am in theater today because of Warren. Over the last 9 years I have acted, directed and produced dozens and dozens of times. I have lost count. I have been President of Albany Civic Theater and am currently President of the Classic Theater Guild. It has been some ride. The people who have come into my life these past 9 years have greatly enhanced my life. I love them all very much. I dont know where I'd be without them. At any rate, I gotta go be "creative". See ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home