Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Ground Hog Day

If you ever saw the Bill Murray movie called "Ground Hog Day" you will know what I mean when I say everyday over here is alot like Ground Hog Day. The same thing, from morning to night, all day long, day to day and into the next day. Wake up at 0600, get dressed for PT, run PT, back to the hooch to grab the shower stuff and then its off to the shower and and into the shower and wash my ass and back to the hooch and get dressed and put on my uniform and gear and grab the weapon and strap it to my back and its off to walk the 15 minutes to work and then its a morning meeting with me and the LTC and Major and my man Bluch (where we talk about nothing and alot) and then its into the office and checking my email and getting updates from my subordinates and working on whatever is "hot" that day or whatever the LTC thinks is "hot" and then its off to lunch and eat KBR shit and then a mid-day walk and then back to the office to review the work of my soldiers until 1900 and then its put on my gear and strap my weapon to my back and walk back to the hooch--dripping wet from sweat cause its a hundred and oh fuck...and then its take off my gear and my uniform and check the internet and turn on the tv to watch crap and then its lay in the bed and fall all sleep and then the alarm rings and shit.....wake up and 0600, get dressed for PT........". You get the point. Ground Hogs Day...You see...when you are in the combat zone...you want ground hogs day...because if the shit hits the fan...and something messes with this daily regimen...it often means something really bad happens (like a chopper going down or some soldier getting killed or injured). We have had a few days like that since we have been in country, but for the most part, its just been SSDD. Well I am hoping for the last 7 weeks or so to be just like for me. Let me know what to expect...with no surprizes. I have had enough excitement to last me a long time. Now, I just want to get home fully intact...and with my mind intact.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

-T

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Big Daddy.

--Karin

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Glenn,

How are you?
Interesting, people always use the term "Groundhog Day" to mean how repetitive and boring their every day life is..which in your case is a very good thing... but I think the bigger part of that film is often lost...how the Bill Murray
character starts out as this kind of selfish asshole, but slowly gets into himself over time and transforms into this renaissance man, finds this great inner source of compassion and creativity, and becomes capable of truly loving himself and others because of this bizarre situation he's in...kind of sappy, but since I know you I know you have a great amount of sap, like a big maple, inside...
Get Sappy, Sapirstein...

Bone Daddy

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home