Friday, June 19, 2009

Preparing others for war

For the last week I have been in Vermont at a SRP (soldier readiness preparation). The 86th infantry is deploying later this year to Afghanistan and I am here to assist deploying soldiers with the legal issues. It is very interesting and laid back. Today I spent some time with a kid who is 18, just out of high school. I was impressed with him. As we spoke I couldn't imagine what was going through his mind. He's infantry and going off to war instead of going off to college. Wow. I was a chicken shit at 18. Never could of done what he is doing at his age. Then he told me something else. His power of attorney is his grandmother instead of his mother. You know why? Because his mom is going with him! She's deploying to Afghanistan for the second time. What must be going through her mind????? But this is not unique. Families are serving together in the warzone all the time now. For them both I am proud. If anything bad happens, they will be there for each other. I pray that they get back to just do normal mom-son stuff. No more family outings to war.


-- Post From My iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home