Monday, January 16, 2012

Short timer blues: Pre-deployment Thoughts

Two weeks from now I'll be in Syracuse NY with my new unit waiting to fly down to Camp Shelby, Miss., for the beginning of deployment training prior to heading to the sand box some time in early spring.  I feel really strange.  At work, everyone is acting as if I am already gone.  Ha ha.  I think my boss is worried but I keep trying to reassure him that everything will work out.  I have about 7 working days until I go, so there is a lot of wrapping up to do.  I will miss my co-workers a lot.  They are a crazy but very dedicated bunch.  It has been an honor to work with each and everyone of them.  I have  not told my family that I am going yet.   The last couple of days I have been getting in touch with my friends and slowly spreading the word.  Back in 2006, I let everyone know as soon as I first was alerted, but if you read my blog from back then you will see that I had several going away parties because the Army kept delaying my departure to Fort Hood.  Ha ha.  Unlike then though, I actually have mobilization orders so my departure is more of a sure thing.  I guess I need to do give my family a call soon.  I don't want them to be surprised to find out I left the country without telling them.  My life seems to be in limbo again.  I hate the way that makes me feel.  My friends who I have told can't believe I'm going.  My old friend Lou kept saying to me "You're  old!...why are they taking you?"  He didn't mean anything about it, but like most of my friends he couldn't imagine do anything this crazy.  I will not be a civilian 12 days from now.  I will be a active duty soldier again.  For me, the fourth time in my life that has happened.  But for the next 11 days, I will try hard to be a good civilian.  T and the dogs are getting ready to send me off.  For us all, it will be a long year.  But, hopefully it will go fast.  Next year this time, I hope to be back here getting ready to go on a vacation.  Good night my peeps.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you're going again, but it means I probably will talk to you more again.
Brother John

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home