Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mortaritaville - The Sequel

Well folks...apparently this is a bad time to be in Camp Anaconda. The last few days have been attack after attack. Tonight I was running in the gym and we heard a loud boom and the building shook. After the explosion...we could see dust coming from the place where a mortar fell. Or where we thought it fell. If it had broke through the roof and landed in the middle of the gym....I would have been just a few feet away. Damn..the real scary part is that everyone in the gym...myself included kept working out....we shook it off because we are use to these attacks now. Last night my buddy told me he heard about 7 landing inside the wire. I can't confirm this. What is scary is not that they are accurate or good at what they do...they kinda suck...actually they usually don't even aim...but its that sometimes they get lucky. And like I always say about sports...I would rather be lucky then good. From the Army's standpoint...the force protection is working just fine. The design of the building we were in and the steps taken to protect us saved us tonight. I am grateful. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of participating in some actual force protection by filling and placing sand bags around the windows of buildings that are vulnerable to attack. Hard work, but I am it was a change of pace...so I enjoyed it. The next two sundays will be busy. This coming sunday I will be running in a 10 mile race. Next sunday I will be going to Baghdad for another conference/training/. Another chance to go outside the wire. The time is going fast right now...the days blend into each other and I never know what day it is most of the time. Before you know it my R and R leave will be hear (around February 14th) and I will be seeing everyone. I can't wait. Until then...keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn,
Please stay clear of "falling" objects. A package is on its way to you.
Love, Linda

5:29 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

There is a new film "The Ground Truth". We are having a screening in Houston next week. I already purchased the DVD, got it in the mail today and watched it. It was powerful. The thing about Iraq is the front line is everywhere. It doesn't matter whether you are combat or support.

My son is scheduled to come home the end of November. He will have served a total of 25 months in Iraq.

Stay safe soldier. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please take care of yourself. We do think about you everyday, several times a day, actually. Sometimes it's as if you are standing right there in our living room.....oh, damn kids left the TV on again. When you come home, Glenn, we are all pitching in and buying you a car, you whiner..
...seriously, take care. Love ya!

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Glenn,

Sounds pretty scary. Let's hope they're neither lucky nor good.
Take care.

Warren

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Glenn,
Thank you for everything you have done. Your writing is amazing and inspirational. It has a calming effect that I was not ready for. You seem to be an extremely positive person. Hopefully, this is contagious and the people around you are better because of it. Keep up the good work. Thanks again,
A new fan

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glenn,
I happened to watch your video on youtube and was moved. Thank you for all you do. Back at home, we are thinking of you and the rest of the troops. Take care of yourself and those around you and come home safe to your family. Thank you again.

-Kristina

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home