Saturday, September 09, 2006

Iraq

I am here. In Iraq. In an air force base north of Baghdad. And officially, I am in a war zone. Since February I have wondered if this day would ever come. And yesterday (September 8) at about 5:00pm I landed in a C -130 that was crammed with equipment and soldiers. It was the Army/Air Force version of a "no frills flight." No pretty flight attendants, no in-flight movie, no peanuts, no beverage services...just me and fellow soldiers crammed into seats made out of cargo nets with leg room reserved for tiny midgets. But thankfully it was a short flight. We landed at about 5 pm and then went back to tents for one last night. Today I was up at about 4, had chow, then went to a briefing (where they showed us videos of how to react to mortar attacks) and then recieved the keys to our new digs. Our homes for the next 11 months or so. Smaller then at Hood, but private at least. Iraq is much better already then Kuwait. I saw camels yesterday on the way to our flight and then I saw trees and grass for the first time since I left the country. I am working on getting my room in shape and then its back to work. I have met the guy I am replacing and his staff. He has done a good job preparing for the transition. They are all excited about going home. I am sure I will feel the same way next year. At any rate my peeps...your soldier boy has made it and my spirits are high. Love ya all. Especially you my love. Holla at your boy. ( how ghetto is that?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're in great spirits. Can you bring me back a camel? I've never had one of those.

Love Ya'll (How Southern is that?)
Sherry

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finally settled in Iraq. Hope everything goes well. J-lo always asks for you. She sends you greetings. Be safe and make us proud!

-O

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaps,

Full power to the Yankee Lizard.
Full power to all desert Lizards.
Good luck.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home