Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Something New: 5 K Run in the Desert

The last few weeks has given me the opportunity to do a few new things. My first time "overseas", the first time I have walked in heat that exceeded 110 degrees, and yesterday, the first time I ever ran a 5 K run. And in the desert no less. Now I did not win the race, but I did complete it. In a less then "the speed of light" time of 28 minutes and 5 seconds. Thats a little over 9 minute miles, but like I said, I finished the race somewhere in the middle of the pack of about 800 soldiers, airman, and sailors who participated, so I am satisfied. I have decided that I want to continue improving on this and I understand that when we get to Iraq we will have these races every holiday. It was actually quite fun to do it and we got free t-shirts...yahoo! We started the race about 6 in the morning and it was a cool 95 degrees. In the mornings I actually get chilled. Can you imagine? When I get back to the states sometime in February, I am gonna be hurting I am sure. Because, no where, but no where is as hot as we have it here right now. New York will be...well forget New York. Florida will be chilly....I mean most of you will be wearing shorts and I will be wearing a parka. At least for the first few days anyway. I will just have to cuddle with my baby....maybe Elvis too. Haha. I have a few more days here in Kuwait and then its short flight up north. Its cold up north. (115 vs. 133) At anyrate I understand you folks back home have gotten rain and chilly weather. I miss the fall. It has always been my favorite time of year. Oh well, I plan on being home next fall. Until then, I will just have to keep dreaming of apple picking, walking in the woods on those crisp fall mornings, and planning for thanksgiving.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Ha! So that's the reason my son wore his sweats in July/August after he came home from his first tour over there...I wondered why he was always so chilly. I'd ask him if he was getting sick and he'd say "no, I'm just a little chilled".

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Glenn,

The Yanks are looking scary good. Could be a real great series if it goes Yanks/Mets. Homefield might be the difference. Hope you can enjoy the play-offs out there...

Take care...

Warren

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home