Monday, August 21, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane - Elvis has left the Country

By the time most of you will read this, I will no longer be in the United States. Sometime in the next few hours I will be on a plane heading overseas. It will be the first time in my life that I have left this country except for trips to Canada and Mexico. I am both excited about this and a little nervous. I can't tell you when I will be back...or even if...I ever will come back. But its my goal. I really know how much I will be missed and I have promised everyone of you I would come back safe. But...just to cover my bases....I want to tell you how I feel at this moment. I have had so much to thankful for. I am healthy, I have a great family, and so many friends. Now I have my T...the love who waits for me. I just want you all to know how much I love you all. A man who has friends and a loving family...well he's got everything. I feel happier and more content then I have ever felt in my life. Its because of you. Each of you. Now I know you all think I am a little messed up in the head for doing this...and somedays even I think thats so...I have no regrets. However this ends...I know that I have made the right decision. When I was growing up, I got use to taking the easy road. All through my first tour in the army and through college, I never applied myself the way I should have. I was selfish and inconsiderate. But somewhere along the way, I started to change. Pehaps that was when I began working with people with HIV/AIDS. There I was taught and shown compassion. I started to realize that each person on this planet has purpose and meaning. Each life is precious...each person a gift from god. What I am doing is trying to use my gifts to bring a little ray of light to an area of the world that needs it right now. I want to do two main things:

Support my fellow soldiers.

Learn about and appreciate the Iraqi people.

Some people do not think its possible to do both...but I know I can do it. Not sure how I will go about doing this, but hell...I got to try. I hope I can show both groups my sense of humor...my appreciation for diversity...and my compassion. I hope that I can make friends...as dear to me as all of you have been. I know if I get the chance...I will succeed. Or die trying.

Good bye all. I love you all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd better effing come back!

-T

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey, It's me, Ruth Martin!
I did it!! I found your blogspot. Printed everything out and am taking it on the plane with me. It'll be good reading, I'm sure. You're in my thoughts...and prayers EVERY DAY. Please, please be safe, don't do anything foolish. Always always remember how much I love you. Oh...I called Todd, left him a message, will try again. x0x0 -r-

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home