Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Getting Closer to War

When I first got here in April I looked at the list of the training that I needed to take in order to be certified to go overseas and thought that I would never be able do it all. Besides our "green training" (the army related training) I also had to set up our office, supervise my section and do additional duties when called upon by the company commander or 1st Sergeant. I can't believe it, but I am almost there. This last weekend we did a training called "close quarters" combat training. This was a two day training in the hot Texas sun. We got to shoot off 140 rounds of ammo in different fighting positions and then the 2nd day got to experience a little of what the 11 Bravos do...(this is the guys in the Infantry). We were put in four man teams and sent in to a building where "insurgents" were hiding. We used live ammo, so it was a little scary. Haha. But I learned alot and I am gonna get Eric and Warren and Jason to practice with me on this. We will use paint balls instead of live m16 rounds of course. The training is risky, and apparently there have been some deaths as a result of this training. But I made it out alive and managed not to kill any of my team members. In other news, they found out I was an actor and tapped me to be the MC for the deployment ceremonies that will be held when we leave. I am glad to do it. I want to give a big shout out to my signficant other. I am glad you are in my life and don't worry I am coming home soon. Actually I am due to go on leave on the 21st of July and I want to party a bit with my buds on that next Saturday. So ya'all get ready...Haha. At any rate, as unbelievable as it may seem, In about a month, I will be heading off to the big sand box. I think if you took a poll of my friends a year ago and you asked them if they thought this was possible they would have thought you were crazy. Hell, I would have thought you were crazy. But here I am. I can't even tell you how great it makes me feel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Can't wait.

-T

7:11 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Your training in the hot Texas sun will help just a "little". When my son first arrived in the sandpit early May 03 he was making it just fine. Others were cursing the day they joined the army. The heat is intense, but the sand was worse. But by July/August and temps reach 130, even his life in Texas couldn't help!

Be safe soldier.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home