Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Hard Life of an American Soldier - Kuwait Edition

It is hard to believe that I have been here since the 23rd of August. It seems much longer. It seems like I have been here a life time. But its been less then two weeks. Ten days of Heat, Sand, and Laying around. But its no vacation. My days right now consist of waking up at 5:00 to do PT, going to breakfast, showering and shaving, then back to the tent I share with 15 other guys. We sit around and bullshit and wonder when the hell we are leaving Kuwait. Around 12 we go to chow again and then I check my email. I then go back to the tent and lay around and talk with my tent mates and talk about woman, sports, and nothing in particular. Then we get tired and nap until our 5 oclock formation. After formation we go to chow. (eating is the only thing we really look forward to these days). After the hard day, we go back to our tents (also know as our "hooch". ) Half the time we cant tell you what time it is or what day it is. Holidays? This monday is a holiday? Why everyday is a holiday in sunny - hazy crazy - Kuwait. The sandstorm was a big disappointment. I mean I bought 5 gallons of goats milk and 3 dozen eggs just in case we got trapped in our tents. Just like in the winter at home...they promise us 16 inches and we get 2. Here they promise us a 5 day sandstorm and we get 4 hours. I feel really cheated. A soldier (regardless of which war) is faced with two major things he must learn to deal with. The "war" action. Things blowing up, people shooting at you, ect., (which rarely happens) or the boredom. Long hours of sitting or laying around waiting for something to happen. (this happens most of the time) These days we get many more choices as to how to deal with this tedium. But after so many videos, music, and video games -- the tedium continues. We can't work because most of our equipment is in Iraq already. So its just waking up and doing the same old thing everyday. I would guess that the guys in past wars had to deal with the same thing we have to. But I am sure that those who rushed the beaches on D-Day and saw the carnage they saw....would never again complain about be bored. I just have to keep that in mind. I know my family and friends all want me to have a very boring time for the next year. Ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home