Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Yes, I am Doing OK---Thanks for Asking

This is the longest time between post. I can't explain why it has been so long, but I guess it is because I have been preoccupied with thoughts of leaving Iraq next month and preparing for the redeployment of my unit. I can't believe that I have been out of the country for almost 11 months. Next month at this time, I will be back at FT Hood, Texas for another 3 weeks before I head home. The days are long still, and its getting real hot. The other day it was about 120. My fellow soldiers are getting what we call "short-timers" attitudes. Basically, we don't care about much right now. We see the light at the end of this very long tunnel. But still now and then we are jolted by reality when we get hit by a few mortar attacks that seem to be getting closer and closer to us. The last big attack came within a few hundred yards of me and a few guys got hit by shrapnel (but not hurt too bad). For the most part, what we are going through is not that much different that what most of you go through at your jobs. We come to work, goof off some, gossip and laugh a lot and make fun of the boss behind her/his back. But then, unlike at home, the siren goes off (air raid) and the big voice shouts... INCOMING...INCOMING... INCOMING....... and we hit the deck and pray that it don't fall right on our heads. Then we close our eyes and a few seconds later....boom.....or nothing.....or BOOM (if its close). The other day....it was....BOOM BOOM.....BOOM...BOOM! As I am sitting on the floor I am thinking....WTF????.....I volunteered for this? After awhile, we finally get the all clear, and we continue on with our day as if nothing happened. Ha ha. Not everyday is like this of course. But it does give us the feeling that we are finally earning a little of our "combat pay". Well, I have just over 3 weeks of unpredictability left. I really am hoping that there isnt a big "HIT ME" sign on my back the next time the mortars come visiting. Love to all my peeps.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was not asking, but thinking how you were doing, even though we did not acknowledge it. Nice friends................................................

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home