Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dryer than Usual

This morning the well went dry.  Well not the "well", but I was awakened today to the "BIG VOICE" that can be heard all over camp which tells you if anything exciting is going down.  Back in Iraq days the "BIG VOICE" would attempt to warn us about incoming mortars and such, but the "BIG VOICE" here in Kuwait warns us about high winds and dust storms and the like instead of any thing human-made disasters.  But today the "BIG VOICE" simple said that there would be no running water for anyone on Camp for most if not all the rest of the day.  That meant, for most of us here on Arifjan, no shower and limited use of the latrines.  Apparently, number 1 is ok but number 2 is out of the question.  Ugg.  It is days like this I really miss the US.  We usually don't run out of water back home, but when we do we usually have some idea when the problem will be fixed.  We really don't know when we will have running water again.  So it is hot and we are all sweaty and a bit stinky, but hey could be worse.  We have plenty of drinking water and the DFACs are all open, so I guess I shouldn't complain.  In the meantime, did I mention it is hot here?...Oh yeah, it is.  I think today it might hit 120 today.  When I walked to the DFAC today the wind blew hot air in may face.  It felt like someone had a hair dryer pointed at my face for 20 minutes.  Thankfully, the AC works in most places so again, I shouldn't complain.  I see it was only 57 degrees in Albany this morning.  Wow.  What a difference.  The good news is that I am going TDY back to the States in a little over a week.  So I will get a chance to go to Virginia for a week and then to Albany.  So that's exciting.  10 days out of here?  I'll take it.  Hopefully, I will get a chance to shower before I go.  Enjoy your fancy smancy indoor plumbing and running water America!!!  I gotta find a nice quiet port-a-potty somewhere.  Peace!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss you man, take care over there

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Warren Raboy said...

Hey Glenn--Hope the water is running by now. Take Care.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home