Friday, April 13, 2012

Long Day's Journey into Tomorrow

Wow what a trip.  I am officially in Kuwait, a trip that started on Tuesday morning and didn't end until late the next day.  To recap, I was up at 0530 on Tuesday the 10th and dragged my bags to the bag dropping sight across the street from my barracks.  My ruck sack was as heavy as shit...and contained most of my combat gear (helmet, body armor, gas mask, etc.).  My rolling duffle bag was stuffed with everything else including uniforms etc.  My essential electronics went in my assault bag.  Then it was time to manifest for the flight and take busses out of Camp Shelby (yahoo!).  We then went to Gulfport and waited for a short time to load the big-ass plane that took us first to Maine, then to Germany, then to Kuwait.  Just like in 2006, the plane stopped in Bangor, Maine for a short time where we were greeted by several dozen USO volunteers who applauded and shook our hands as we entered the terminal.  Very heart warming actually.  It's nice to know that some people out there realize there is haven't forgot us and the fact that there is still a war going on out there.  A lot of these folks were veterans from nearly every era.  I was moved by their expression of support.  I get mushy easy I guess these days.  One lady went around handing out home made pillows and a variety of other snacks, etc.  After an hour or so we boarded the plane for the big trip across the pond.  We landed in Germany 6 or 7 hours later and went inside the terminal and were greeted by.....well no one.  I purchased a fried chicken thing and some guys had bad hamburgers.  The Air Force soon came in (they were heading home) and all of us Army guys were pissed when they went in to the gift shop and purchased some german beer (which of course is off limits to us) and sat down right next to us and guzzled them down.  Now to be truthful, I really didn't want any beer but it pissed me off that they could drink it and we couldn't.  F**king air force ass*****! Well after a short time we headed off to reboard and then took another 5 hour flight to Kuwait City.  Late in the day we arrived in Kuwait City and then bussed to two various sights which got us to our destination just in time for midnight chow!!  Yesterday I slept pretty late and played dodgeball in the evening.  It is not real hot here now but it is real dusty.  Today was a work day, although there really isn't much to do until next week when we go to the range and do other training.  I is hard to believe that I am in Kuwait right now, but this will become the new normal.  How long the new normal will be is anyone's guess.  I am owned by the Army right now and the Army does whatever they want with me.  Talk to you all soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home