Sunday, April 08, 2012

Easter at Shelby and Packing the Bags

Happy Easter/Passover all.  This has been a very quiet week as we prepare to head overseas.  Mostly just packing and getting ready for that long flight.  I can not reveal details of my departure but I can say that next sunday will most likely arrive 7 hours earlier for me than this sunday.  Which means I'll will be much farther east this time next week.  Hint hint.  When I do leave, I'll let you all know and when I get in country I will holla at ya.  This mobilization and predeployment has been much different than 2006.  I am older, wiser and maybe a little more cranky than back then.  When I read my blog from those days I am struck with both how positive and how naive I was.  I seemed almost joyful at the training I went through and the long mob up at Fort Hood.  But this time around, well I guess I have been less enthusiastic.  I have been in denial about the whole process.  I have gone through two solid months of waking up at 0 dark 00 and dragging 75 pounds of gear all over Shelby.  There has been many good moments but I would be lying if I said that this last two months has been easy.  It has not.  I I miss T and the dogs and my friends and my co-workers...everyone.  I miss being a civilian.  I miss my work with my veterans.  In a few days...I'll miss America.  I have to remind myself that this is my duty...this is my chance to make a difference in the lives of my fellow soldiers.  I am the leader of Headquarters platoon...with four soldiers to lead and a commander and first sergeant who need my help.  That's the only thing I need to remember is that I am doing my duty.  I would like to be home, but that is not possible right now.  I hope everyone has a great day today.  I look forward to spending next easter with you.  Until than I will do my duty.  But I gotta finish packing first.  Ha ha. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home