Thursday, February 16, 2012

Army Training for God knows what

I am starting to adjust down here in Mississippi.  In my last post, my big bro John told me that I should stop complaining about Mississippi....he is right of course.  But the problem is not with Mississippi -- but rather with the fact that we are stuck here on Camp Shelby without any chance to see what the real Mississippi is all about.  I am sure it is a beautiful place, but so far we are stuck marching in red mud and dealing with the lack of amenities here.  The people here are great though.  Nevertheless, we are several thousand strong ready to do big things in Afghanistan, Kuwait, or Bahrain.  Where I will end up is anyone's guess.  Since I have been here though I have done a little training.  Lot's of power point briefs, went through the land navigation course, and this Saturday I will go to the range to qualify with my M-4.  Advance weather is not good.  Severe thunderstorms I hear.  The next week is going to be quite interesting.  There are 2000 soldiers down here who have put their lives on hold in anticipation of a mission--and twice we have had that mission changed.  In a week or so, we will find out if we get a new mission or if we get sent home.  There have been National Guard units who have been in this situation before.  They were mobilized and sent to Camp Shelby for mobilization training only to be told that the "Big Army" did not really need them after all.  "Thanks for your service now go home!"  Welcome home soldier...to unemployment.  I feel bad for the people who are counting on this deployment.  In this economy having a well payed job in a true gift.  For 20 somethings who have children and no education, the Army is the best bet.  I am blessed--to have a good job I love --waiting for me when I get home.  But for many of my fellow soldiers who are waiting in limbo down hear, the thought that this whole mission could get completely scrubbed is almost too horrible to comprehend.  Six years ago, I volunteered to deploy when few people wanted that mission.  Now people are desperate to deploy.  As much as I would love to go to Afghanistan or wherever, I don't want to take another soldier's job.  So if they need volunteers willing to off ramp, I need to consider doing that too.  Interesting times. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home