Thursday, February 02, 2012

Thrill a Minute at Camp Shelby

I have been a full time soldier for the last 5 days...and let me tell you it has been a thrill a minute.  My unit left Syracuse early Tuesday morning and flew down to Mississippi.  The day started on Monday at 1400 hours and then we began to manifest for the flight at 0130 hours.  I was one of the lucky ones who got to be on baggage detail.  That was fun.  The actual flight did not leave until close to 0500 hours.  It was--a very long day.  Since then we have been adjusting to full time Army life.  Lot's of mandatory briefs, etc..  I also had to go through another medical screening---where I was found again to be fit to fight.  The barracks is loaded with lots of snoring soldiers....including me...sleeping is hard.  My morale has gone up and down.  Right now, I still do not know what the future holds.  That's the same with everyone in my unit and my section.  We are all struggling with being separated from our families and our civilian life, with no idea when or if we are doing anything for the next year.  At times I feel like I just want to get the eff out of here and other times when I feel like I want to do something exciting like go to Afghanistan or something crazy.  Today, I finally was able to set up our office---although I am not sure how busy we will be or for how long, but I guess I just gotta take it one day at a time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bro, Good to see you made it back down to the good ol' south.. If you get a little bored there, try doing a little Camp Shelby History!! It really is pretty interesting, and goes back a long ways. If that doesn't work, you can go deep sea fishing in the Gulf..whatever you do, at least you're not freezing your ass off..Love Ya, see ya, Bro John

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home