Saturday, March 11, 2006

Be Careful What You Volunteer For

I remember when I first joined the Army back in the early 80's I was anxious to make an impression by volunteering for extra duty when ever I thought it might make me look good in front of the Drill Sergeants. Basically, I was being a kiss ass. LOL. Well when I first went to basic training, there was a drill sergeant who asked for volunteers one time and I made the mistake of putting my hand up the highest. So they picked me for this important job and I was told to report the next day for duty.....at 03:30 (thats 3:30 am for all you civvies out there). So what was this important duty? KP...Kitchen Patrol. God that was awful. Back then, you really did peel potatoes and crack eggs, and all that crap. They busted my ass for 14 hours. I was so busy and so tired by the end of the day I wanted to DIE. I was so good at it though, they asked my Drill Sergeant to let me do it again the next day. I remember him say..."Hey Read...you dont mind do you?" There was no answer for that other then "No Sergeant!" Needless to say, I didn't volunteer anymore while I was at Basic. So 23 years later, I guess I should have learned my lesson. Back in February I went on the Guard Knowledge Online sight and saw that they were taking volunteers to support OIF/OEF and other current missions. I plugged in my information and noticed that they were looking to fill jobs (in my MOS) in units that would be deploying to Iraq shortly. Well a few weeks later I got a certified letter from the State Division of Military Affairs informing me that if I really wanted to volunteer there were openings and that I needed to contact them right away. I called back and told them I was interested. I did a little paperwork and signed a waiver stating that I was willing to waive my rights to a 30 day mobilization notice. Well yesterday, I was told that my application was accepted and that I was expected to get orders very soon. The dates are not set in stone yet, but I was told the target date for my mobilization was March 20, with a reporting date in Ft. Hood Texas at or around the 23rd. WOW! Thats 12 days away and I have alot to do. Finding a place for Elvis is number one. Everything else will work itself out. I can't believe that in 2 weeks, I will be in Texas. In a few weeks or months....Iraq. WTF?....LOL. I am really excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home