Saturday, March 10, 2007

Stirring the Melting Pot: The Army Way

My first full week back in Balad has gone pretty well. On Monday I landed early in the morning in beautiful downtown Camp Anaconda. The best thing about landing....it was 77 degrees and sunny here and I left 10 degrees and snow in Albany. But then again, I would take Albany over Balad no matter what time of the year it is. Home was great, but when my boy Blu came by my hooch on Monday night (I basically slept most of the day on Monday) I could see in his eyes how happy he was that I was back. And I was real happy to see him. You know I have the best friends at home.....but there is something about the connections you make when you go to war with someone. I think its because you have to be with these people through tough times and through all the bullshit that the "giant green weanie" (the army) throws your way and this shared misery and adversity tends to makes you all closer. Thats how I feel about my soldiers. We come from all over...and are so different in so many ways. One of my soldiers is 19! Damn I sometimes think that she thinks I am the oldest man in the army. My soldiers come from places like Texas and Alabama and Colorado. My LTC and Major are from Vermont and I am from NY. I have female soldiers and male soldiers, african-american and mexican-american and a few good all american mutts. And yes...we even have those who are liberals and those who are conservatives, those who are Republicans and those who are Democrats. In the civilian world, I could not imagine that this combination of characters from all different ages and ethnicities and regions could ever manage to get along or to build a team that would be so strong. And yet...that's what we have done. I believe the rest of the country could learn from our experience. See...over here....we really don't have the time to waste on petty differences like the color of your skin or where you came from or even whether you are liberal or conservative. What matters most is....will you be there for your buddy when bad shit goes down or not? Do you trust the guy or gal that's in the foxhole to your left and right? I don't speak for all soldiers, but I can say at least in my own case.....I know my soldiers will be there for me and they know I am there for them. That's why I worried so much when I was home. Knowing that helicopters that carry soldiers are a big target right now for the insurgents. When I was home...I panicked when I heard that one of them went down. I prayed that it was not any of my soldiers who were on those flights. I felt relieved when I came back and Blucher told me everyone was alright. I can't even begin to fathom losing one of them. Although we are all looking forward to going home this summer....I don't want to waste time...wishing the time away....without realizing that in many ways we are living incredible lives and are sharing moments with each other that will never leave us and are not likely to be replicated. The fighting Jags....oh how proud I am of my team. And with all due respect to my family and friends in the US....it really feels good to be home! In August...home will be back in Albany....but for now.....it's Camp Anaconda Iraq...and I have a family to take care of over here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brother, it's sad that it takes a war for us to realize that we are all Americans. But on the other side of that thought is exactly what America is all about!!! a country that despite it differences is still the Best damn country in the world!!!!! we would all rather sit back and chill, but we don't because there still are people who do not know even the least aspects of freedom....our brave men are willing to risk there lives to contribute to the LIFE, LIBERTY AND JUSTICE for all....Glenn is one of those who gave up his civilian life to go and help make this a reality!! it is this very thought and belief that is the backbone of America... we are in iraq to make life better for all iraqis and all of humankind. I for one am proud to be a brother of a person who would put his ass on the line(voluntarily) for men, women, and children who he does not know and who will probably never thank or acknowlegde him...to you bro "this Red Dog is on you" see ya john

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home