Friday, April 07, 2006

I work for George Now - Ft Hood Here I come

Well at long last (well not that long I guess) I have officially been activated and mobilized. I am a Title 10 Soldier (which means I fall under the authority of the President of the United States.) You see in the NY National Guard, my Commander in Chief is the Governor George Pataki. But the President has the authority to "Federalize" National Guard troops which place them under the authority of the Federal Army and the President. Now my case is not that unusual, lots of Guard Units have been activitated in support of OIF. However it is interesting to note that in the past, National Guard Units have been involuntarily "federalized" without the consent of the individual units or the support of the Governor. One famous case involved the decision of President Kennedy to federalize the Alabama Army National Guard to enforce a court ruling to desegregate the University of Alabama. At one point, the Governor of Alabama, George Wallace, stood in the entrance of the University and refused to move until the commander of the National Guard told him that he no longer took his orders from Wallace, but from President Kennedy. He did eventually step aside. So now, I take my orders from the other George. The one in Washington. And I have been told to get my ass down to Texas. So off I go. It seems like along time since I have been waiting, but now the time is here. I am ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home